Leaking Roof an Emergency?
To be as short and precise as possible: Yes, a leaking roof is most definitely an emergency! Whether due to old age, poor installation, and manufacturing or difficult weather, our roofs can lose performance quality. Sometimes this results in mold growth and high humidity levels, but other times it results in severe roof leaks and foundation damage.
By itself, a roof leak can be easily fixed and stopped, but the longer it lasts, the more damage it will do to your home. If you leave your roof to drip like a faucet, several things can happen, including:
- Damaged electrical circuits, sometimes leading to fires.
- Worst case scenario: ceiling collapse
- Damaged insulation and roofing structure
- Damaged floor and furniture
- Increased moisture and mold
- Rotten and cracked wood
- The need for full replacement
To avoid all of these things, you must act quickly. As soon as you notice a roof or ceiling leak, immediately contact Scarborough professional roofing. The sooner you fix the problem, the better. And if we catch the roof leak in its early beginnings, chances are you won’t need full replacement later on.
So you notice a roof leak and you want to act quickly, but what should you do precisely? What are the steps one needs to take in order to ensure minimum damage? Well, first you’ll need to remove every single art or furniture piece in the area. This way you won’t have anything damaged after the leak.
Afterward, you should find either a bucket or a large pan to collect falling water. It’s also good to make small holes around the primary leak. This is done to relieve water pressure. If a ton of water is coming from above and only through a small hole in the ceiling, the walls are going to get severely damaged from within. This kind of situation leads to a ceiling collapse. When you secure the area, switch off any electricity in the room and call Etobicoke roofing professionals.
Until they come, inspect your home with a flashlight and start with the attic. You will have a much easier time controlling the water if you know the actual leak source. Whatever methods you use for investigating, do not climb up on the roof. It can be very dangerous, especially if the roof is old or if it’s raining cats and dogs outside.
When it comes to roof leaks, there are several causes. Some aren’t that dangerous and others are a sign that you need a full roof replacement. To help you out in finding your cause, here are some possible and common situations out there:
- Old age – Roofs don’t last forever. If you have asphalt fiberglass roofing, it will last a max of 20 years. (Applies only in ideal scenarios, where weather is tolerable and maintenance is frequent)
- Little maintenance – Roofs need to be cleaned. If they aren’t, debris and dirt will start to accumulate and damage the entire water flow.
- Broken shingles or flashing – Happens because of poor installation, manufacturing or difficult weather. Regularly inspect the roof to avoid this.
- Cracked chimney – Usually happens because of holes in the mortared joints. The area that connects the chimney to the roof is the most vulnerable.
- Ice built up in the wrong place – To avoid this, regularly remove ice from your roof and gutters.
- Poor installation or manufacturing – Always work with certified roofing companies. Check for reviews and ratings online to find out the truth.
Available Roofing is your professional roofing company in Oakville. With over 14 years of experience in Commercial & Residential Roofing, we are proud and dedicated to offering the highest level of quality and service.